Guida alla Pinacoteca dell’Università degli Studi di Trieste = A Guide to the Picture Gallery of the University of Trieste

Details

Nei locali al primo piano dell’edificio centrale dell’Università degli studi di Trieste che ospitano il Rettorato, trovano posto numerose opere d’arte giunte nelle collezioni dell’Ateneo in momenti e situazioni assai diversi tra loro. Il nucleo più importante proviene dall’«Esposizione Nazionale di Pittura Italiana contemporanea», allestita nell’Aula Magna tra il dicembre 1953 e il marzo dell’anno successivo: un momento particolarmente difficile del lungo dopoguerra vissuto dalla città, che sarebbe tornata all’Italia soltanto un anno dopo, nell’ottobre di quello stesso 1954.La rassegna era stata voluta dal Rettore Rodolfo Ambrosino, dal Soprintendente ai Monumenti Gallerie e Antichità Benedetto Civiletti e dal primo titolare della cattedra di Storia dell’arte Gian Luigi Coletti come testimonianza del legame culturale della città con l’Italia, oltre a essere un evento di rilievo nella storia artistica di quegli anni. Questa raccolta, notevolmente arricchitasi nel corso dei decenni, rimane il più importante e visibile nucleo delle collezioni d’arte dell’Ateneo, che tuttavia sono ben più ampie e strutturate e soprattutto appaiono in continua espansione grazie a quel forte legame instaurato nel tempo dall’Università di Trieste con il proprio territorio. Quest’ultimo era del resto uno dei punti che il progetto della mostra allestita nel 1953 intendeva sviluppare sul piano culturale oltre che politico. Un obbiettivo che quindi è stato raggiunto e che consente all’Ateneo di vantare oggi una raccolta di opere d’arte che appare esemplare nel panorama delle collezioni delle università italiane.

The rooms on the first floor of the central building of the University of Trieste, which house the Rector’s Office, host numerous works of art that have joned the University’s collections at very different times and under various circumstances. The most important nucleus comes from the ‘Esposizione Nazionale di Pittura Italiana contemporanea’ (National Exhibition of Contemporary Italian Painting), held in the Aula Magna between December 1953 and March of the following year: a particularly difficult moment in the long post-war period experienced by the city, which would return to Italy only a year later, in October of that same 1954. The exhibition had been commissioned by Rector Rodolfo Ambrosino, Superintendent of Monuments, Galleries and Antiquities Benedetto Civiletti and the first holder of the Chair of Art History Gian Luigi Coletti as a testimony to the city’s cultural link with Italy, as well as being a major event in the artistic history of those years. Those works constitute the most important and visible nucleus, enriched over the years, of the University’s art collections, which are, however, much larger and more structured and in continuous expansion thanks to the strong ties established by the University of Trieste with its territory, which was the main political and cultural aim of the exhibition project set up in 1953. An objective that has therefore been achieved and that allows the University to boast today a collection of works of art that appears exemplary in the panorama of Italian universities collections.

Browse

Recent Submissions

Now showing 1 - 1 of 1
  • Publication
    Guida alla Pinacoteca dell'Università degli Studi di Trieste
    (2023)
    De Grassi, Massimo
    The rooms on the first floor of the central building of the University of Trieste, which house the Rector’s Office, host numerous works of art that have joned the University’s collections at very different times and under various circumstances. The most important nucleus comes from the ‘Esposizione Nazionale di Pittura Italiana contemporanea’ (National Exhibition of Contemporary Italian Painting), held in the Aula Magna between December 1953 and March of the following year: a particularly difficult moment in the long post-war period experienced by the city, which would return to Italy only a year later, in October of that same 1954. The exhibition had been commissioned by Rector Rodolfo Ambrosino, Superintendent of Monuments, Galleries and Antiquities Benedetto Civiletti and the first holder of the Chair of Art History Gian Luigi Coletti as a testimony to the city’s cultural link with Italy, as well as being a major event in the artistic history of those years. Those works constitute the most important and visible nucleus, enriched over the years, of the University’s art collections, which are, however, much larger and more structured and in continuous expansion thanks to the strong ties established by the University of Trieste with its territory, which was the main political and cultural aim of the exhibition project set up in 1953. An objective that has therefore been achieved and that allows the University to boast today a collection of works of art that appears exemplary in the panorama of Italian universities collections.
      125  185