Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/10077/19853
Title: La facciata del Duomo di Muggia
Authors: Bergamini, Giuseppe
Keywords: Duomo di MuggiaXV secoloArchitetturaSculturaDuomo of MuggiaXIVth CenturyArchitectureSculpture
Issue Date: 2014
Publisher: EUT Edizioni Università di Trieste
Source: Giuseppe Bergamini, “La facciata del Duomo di Muggia” in: “Antichità Altoadriatiche LXXX (2014). Muggia e il suo Duomo a 750 anni dalla fondazione”, EUT Edizioni Università di Trieste, Trieste, 2014, pp. 119-147
Journal: Antichità Altoadriatiche 
Abstract: 
The bright facade of the Duomo of Muggia, realized by an unknown artist of Venetian training, was performed between 1441 and 1467 and it is considered a real unique for its spectacular appearance, that prevails over its functional skill. Divided into two parts by a string course, spread the top in a trefoil shape at the center of which is sited a perforated, precious, spectacular rose window - quite similar to the one of the church of St. Anthony Abbot in San Daniele del Friuli - composed by sixteen trefoil arches that create intersecting plumes with quadrilobated leaves. At its bottom there are three arches: in the middle, there's the portal surmounted by a lunette containing the stern and majestic relief of the Trinity adored by Saints John and Paul, a fifteenth-century work by an unknown Venetian sculptor characterized by a gothic poetic; the same author has also the maker of the bas-relief with the Madonna and Child at the center of the rosette.

La luminosa facciata del Duomo di Muggia, ideata da un ignoto artista di formazione veneta, è stata eseguita tra il 1441 e il 1467 e, per il suo aspetto scenografico che prevale su quello funzionale, costituisce un vero e unicum. Divisa in due parti da una cornice marcapiano, si sviluppa nella parte superiore in una forma trilobata al centro della quale domina un traforato, prezioso, spettacolare rosone - del tutto simile a quello della chiesa di Sant' Antonio abate di San Daniele del Friuli - composto da sedici archetti trilobi che incrociandosi creano dei pennacchi con foglia quadriloba. Nella parte inferiore si aprono tre fornici: al centro, il portale sormontato da una lunetta contenente il severo, maestoso rilievo della Trinità adorata dai santi Giovanni e Paolo, opera quattrocentesca di un ignoto scultore veneto dalla poetica ancora goticheggiante, autore anche del bassorilievo con la Madonna con Bambino al centro del rosone.
Type: Article
URI: http://hdl.handle.net/10077/19853
Appears in Collections:80 - Antichità Altoadriatiche LXXX (2014)

Files in This Item:
File Description SizeFormat Existing users please Login
05-Bergamini_119-147.pdf7.12 MBAdobe PDF    Request a copy
Show full item record


CORE Recommender

Page view(s)

48
checked on Oct 26, 2020

Download(s)

301
checked on Oct 26, 2020

Google ScholarTM

Check


Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.